It is important to shop around when you are looking for life insurance coverage if you are overweight or obese. Many life insurance companies have tough guidelines on what builds can qualify for the best health classes.
Why Your Build Matters When Getting Life Insurance
Like all investors, Life insurance companies have to take every aspect into affect when issuing you a policy. They want to make sure they are getting the proper amount of return for the “risk” they are taking on insuring your life. This means that if a person has a higher risk of dying due to age, occupation or medical conditions they are going to have to pay a higher premium than someone who is younger and in good health.
Health Risks Associated with Being Obese or Overweight
Life insurance companies look at many different health factors when approving someone who is obese or overweight. Being obese can increase your risk for many medical conditions including:
- Cardiovascular disease and Hypertension
- Thyroid disease
- Some cancers
If you are overweight or obese, losing 5-10% of your weight can prevent or delay some of these diseases.
How Life Insurance Companies View Losing Weight
Before applying for life insurance, many people try to lose weight to get a better rating. The fact is that the majority of people will gain this weight back in a year. Life insurance companies know this fact and adjust accordingly to it. life insurance companies like to see a stable weight for a full year to know that the weight is staying off.
The majority of life insurance companies will give you a break if you are losing weight. They will debt have of your weight loss for the last year. This means that if you have lost 30lbs in the last 6 months, the life insurance companies will debit you 15lbs or half the weight loss.
What if I Don’t Mention the Weight Loss?
Most insurance companies pull medical records to verify your health history. They have full access to your medical history and they will find out even if you don’t mention it. For this reason, it is always good to be upfront with your life insurance agent about any weight loss or medical condition you may have.
Companies That are More favorable for Overweight People
Not all life insurance companies view being overweight the same. Many of them have their own build charts that have a max height and weight that can qualify for each health class. This is why it is important when shopping for life insurance to talk to an experienced agent that can find the right company that will view your situation the best.
There are life insurance companies out there that have better rates for overweight or obese people.
- Aviva Life insurance Company will stretch guidelines to allow for a 10lb swing, if all other criteria is met. This means that if you are over the weight guideline by 10lbs or less and have no other medical conditions or problems, you could qualify for the better health class.
- ING uses BMI, or Body Mass Index, to calculate what health class you fit into. BMI takes your build into account by factoring your height and weight into an equation to see if you are overweight.
- Met Life also uses BMI to calculate your health class
- Prudential has an aggressive build chart to determine what the best health class you can qualify for. To see Prudential’s build charts, click here for ages 18-59 and click here for ages 60 and up.
If your are obese or overweight and looking to get approved for life insurance, don’t hesitate to call today and talk to an experienced agent to help get you approved for life insurance! And Need to lose a few pounds before your medical exam? Check out Yoli diet review.